Responsive web design is not the same as mobile design. Previously you would have two different websites. A designer would make you a version for the desktop computer. They would then create a totally different site for mobile. This however is no longer the case, thanks to the creation of responsive design.
Responsive design means that the same domain, the same content, and the same syntax respond to provide the best user experience possible for each device. The different devices include desktop monitors, laptops, tablets, and mobile devices and their corresponding orientations. Responsive Design, as the underlying base of a websites’ deployment, uses flexible or fluid grids, fluid images, and CSS3 Media Queries to adapt to the viewers’ different device widths and resolutions.
A 2012 TechCrunch Survey predicted that by 2013, mobile devices would overtake desktop PCs as the dominant global Internet platform, with a projected 1.9 billion users on mobile devices in 2015, compared to “only” 1.6 billion desktop internet users. So why haven’t you started creating responsive websites yet?
Responsive Design may have started as a trend, but it has quickly become an evolutionary step in web development and design that has greatly affected design and technology.
Do I need a web design that is responsive?
The simple answer is, yes. As just mentioned, more and more users are finding your website on a mobile device. Your website MUST function flawlessly on these devices. If you aren’t using a responsive design you run the risk of losing half of your potential clients right off the bat. Is that a risk you want to take?
Also with Google’s new search engine optimization (SEO) implementation websites that do not function on mobile are being penalized. The last thing you want is a website that is going to hurt your chances of being found in search results. As we already know SEO is important part of driving new customers and leads to your website, and ultimately to your door.
At Build Your Online we can create a responsibly designed website for your company. We work with you to find out what is important to your business and how to best serve your needs. We deliver a professional responsive design that works on any screen with proper SEO practices. With this new website you will find a great return on investment as you harness the power of the internet and the new leads it provides.
Here are the top ten reasons why responsive web design is so essential to your business:
- Google Recommended– Google has announced plans to favor websites that are friendly to mobile users in 2015. It is estimated that over half of those who use smartphones are using these devices as their main access to the internet.
- Positive Experience– Companies want websites that will not only provide positive experiences for desktop users, but mobile users as well. You are less likely to have returning users if they are unable to navigate your site successfully on their mobile devices. A responsive web design ensures that all users have a positive experience, no matter what device they are using.
- Decrease Bounce Rates– Google ranks websites lower when they have a higher bounce rate because it is assumed the content is irrelevant. These bounce rates may instead be a reflection of the mobile user being unsuccessful in navigating a site, which is why responsive web design is essential for rankings. Don’t spend money on SEO if you have a non-responsive website!
- Maintenance Cost Cuts– Without responsive web design, companies are forced to pay for two different websites to ensure both desktop and mobile users have access to their site. However, with responsive web design, a company will only have to pay for one website that can be accessed by both parties successfully.
- Leg Up on Competition– There are plenty of companies who have failed to see the benefits of implementing a responsive website design for their site. This allows you the opportunity to engage and hook mobile users now, leaving your competition late to the party.
- SEO– Responsive web design will help boost your rankings in search engine optimization because of its accessibility to all users. This also translates to building authority for only one site instead of making an attempt with two.
- Adapting Easily– A responsive website design allows a site to be viewed easily on all devices, including desktops, cellphones, and tablets. As technology continues to evolve and more devices are released, your website will already be ready for mobile users.
- Sales– With so many users on the go, many consumers lack the time to sit at a desktop to shop. Your site will be more likely to pull in sales if mobile users are able to shop easily.
- Mobile Users– In the past years, website visits from mobile users has accounted for half of all website visits. If this trend continues, this number will only grow.
- Branding– Handling two different websites leaves room for inconsistent branding for your company, which could decrease your sales and reputation. Responsive web design ensures consistent branding at all times with only one website to maintain and manage.